I {heart} Geeks!
Last night, Roger and I watched the season premiere of Beauty and the Geek. This is one of my favorite reality shows. I love how they pair up two people who would normally have nothing to do with one another and allow them to learn from one another. I love seeing how the guys develop self-esteem and confidence and how the girls learn that looks aren't everything and there really is a lot to love about these "geeks".
We were watching, and I commented that I felt kind of bad about how I had treated some guys back in my high school days. Although I also have to admit that nearly every guy I've had any kind of a relationship with has been at least a little bit geeky. I've never been real interested in pretty boys and athletes. I prefer my men a bit quirky. Roger said, "I wonder if anyone is watching this right now and wondering 'What ever happened to Roger K--?'"
There was a guy on the show that actually went into the elimination round wearing his Star Trek uniform. I looked over at my own little boy, and he was wearing his elephant costume because he was watching Ice Age. I think we may be raising our own little geek, but that's okay, because I know that geeks have an awful lot to offer. (And I really don't want to have to sit through a lot of athletic competitions when he gets older. I'd rather judge debate tournaments in a climate-controlled environment.)






4 Comments:
I have always identified with geeks. Most of my close friends in college were geeks. I have a geeky profession. ;-)
1:35 PM
My niece and nephew always knew that they could count on me to buy books for them. We might pass up drinks and snacks, but could always squeeze out mone for books. Buy your son as many books as you can afford...the world needs more readers!
6:00 AM
I may be raising a geek of my own. I love geeks too!
5:35 PM
I may be raising a geek of my own :)
5:35 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home