A place for me to record interesting things as they happen. A place for random memories and thoughts. A place to get the words out of my head and into print.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Reflections on Raymer

This past weekend, Roger and I went on our annual weekend getaway. This year we went back to Lindsborg, Kansas and stayed at the Rosberg House which is hands down the best B&B we've ever stayed at. Totally luxurious and beautiful!

While we were in Lindsborg, we visited the former home of Lester Raymer. Now, we had never heard of this artist before, but apparently, he was quite successful. I totally fell in love with his artwork. Now, I'm not much of an art critic. That's really more Roger's area of expertise. What I loved about Raymer was the variety of forms he worked in. Everything from painting to needlework to wood carving to metal work. Every year he made these beautiful intricate toys for his wife as Christmas gifts.

My favorite part was the fact that he would take items from old farmhouses and other found objects and transform them into works of art! Hello! He was altering stuff! As I was going through the museum and thinking about it later, I felt like what I do with paper and other objects was being completely validated by this artist's work. I don't have to create something from scratch to call it art. Making an ordinary object beautiful is an artistic expression.

Ha! I really am an artist! (I've been suspecting as much for a while now!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda Murphy said...

So fun when you find inspiring people and especially artists. Glad you had a nice weekend.

7:42 PM

 
Blogger Kathy M said...

I think in the future scrapbookers will be considered folkartists like old time quilters are now.

7:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home