A place for me to record interesting things as they happen. A place for random memories and thoughts. A place to get the words out of my head and into print.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

You Cannot Hide!

I went to the library today to return the first book I've checked out in about seven years. I also picked up a new one, Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. When I went to the check out desk, the librarian scanned my card and said, "You have 85 cents in late fees on your card."

"How can that be? I've only checked out one book in probably five years, and I just returned it!"

So, she turns the computer screen around and shows me three books that I checked out in 2000 that I obviously did not return on time! The titles looked vaguely familiar. I sort of remember the college assignment for which I checked them out.

"See, I told you it's been a long time!" I laughed. I offered to go to my car and get the money to pay the fine, but she assured me it was okay to wait until next time.

So, you can try to return your overdue library books at the outdoor book drop, but librarians have very long memories and semi-sophisticated computer systems. You will have to pay that late fee at some point.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Quinno said...

Wow, that's a riot! And I've been thinking about going back to mine. I used to bring the boys when they were young....oh about 12 yrs. ago?!!

9:00 AM

 
Blogger Betsy in ar said...

I think thats why I dont go to the library. I am afraid of late fees that I incurred a long tome ago!

5:05 PM

 
Blogger Hafeeza said...

LOL...thats too funny.

7:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home